Thursday, July 12, 2007

If your Honda Civic causes you to sin.....

HOLINESS VS. SITUATIONAL ETHICS

Does obedience come hard to everybody else, or is it just me?

I drive a 2006 Honda Civic SI, a car that Car & Driver magazine called, “One of the 5 best sports cars under $25,000.” The thing is a rocket, with 6 speeds and is capable (or so they tell me) of going 137 mph. Admittedly, it’s a relic of midlife crisis. I’d probably sell it, but I’m upside down on it, so I’m stuck with it.
70 MPH IN 60 MPH ZONE

Well, I’m driving down the freeway, “keeping up with traffic,” as they say; when I realize I’m going 70 in a 60 mph zone.
Immediately the Holy Spirit says, “the speed limit is 60 mph.”
SLOWING DOWN TO 65

To which I reply, “cool God, I’ll take care of it,” and slow down to 65.

Thinking that I've handled it, I’m driving along, and once again the Spirit says, “the speed limit is 60 mph.”
NOW DOWN TO 63

I think to myself, argh! And reply, “ok, I’ll take care of it,” and I slow to 63.

I’m desperately strugling to maintain the 63 mph. It seems like broken down cars and old men on bicylcles can go faster. And all of of a sudden, the Spirit of God that resides in me says, “THE SPEED LIMIT IS 60 MPH.”

By now, I’m really struggling to slow the car down. 63 seems like a snails pace, and going slower doesn’t even seem possible. But I really want to please God, and I’m thankful that he’s teaching me his ways, so I slow to 61 mph, thinking that will satisfy God.
SURELY 61 MPH IS CLOSE ENOUGH!!!

61 mph must be slow enough to please God. At 61 it seems like to entire world is going faster than you. The guy behind you is upset, because he’s never seen anybody go that slow on the freeway. As people pass you, they leer at you in disgust thinking, “way to go Grandpa, can’t you drive any faster?”

That’s right, you guessed it! I hear that still, small voice of God say, “THE SPEED LIMIT IS 60 MPH.”
60 MPH IS SOOOOO SLOOOOWWW!

60 mph??? I’m pretty sure I can walk backwards faster.

I almost take my foot completely out of the accelerator to get the car to slow down just one more mph. Maintaining 60 mph is such a challenge. Everything inside me wants to go faster. I constantly creep above the 60 mph mark and have to readjust back to the speed limit. It takes every bit of self control and will to maintain that speed.

Now I understand what the Lord says when he said, “if your SI causes you to sin, get rid of it.”

Oh wait, he actually said, “if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go to hell.” (Matthew 5:30)

Now I know what Jesus meant.


Searching for Purity,

John


PS. Stayed tuned! Next week I’ll tell you about how hard it is to drive 40 mph on the Nalley Valley Viaduct. What a challenge!!!

No comments: